Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An Ode to Bureaucratic Bullshit

I have officially finished my first of four sessions with American Village. It is odd to say but the kids and schedule were the least exhausting part of my job. Instead of the likely sources of exhaustion and frustration, it was my staff.

As I have mentioned there have been many issues with staff. The two that left were an obvious problem. Two will be leaving tomorrow because of AWFUL work ethic, and one of the replacements is as good as gone because all he does is take smoke breaks. But worst than the counselors that are unproductive and lack a team mentality is our Site Director.

The first few days of work many of the counselors were put off by the way that my SD speaks to us. She will often yell at people for not following her vague orders and tell us that we are conducting the day in a horrible fashion while offering no suggestions or constructive criticism. Successes go unmentioned, and failures are always broughten up. We shrugged it off after being told that it is the French Way of dealing with staff. She is the Director, what she says and the manner she says it in goes. While I would chose to direct a staff differently, I have tried not to let her poor managing skills effect my attitude or outlook on this camp. However, in addition to yelling at and embarassing us she constantly changes rules and breaks French laws and camp policies.

The past three nights me and three fellow counselors have shared wine after the campers went to bed and just vent about all the bullshit and inappropriate choices my SD has made the past two weeks. Without these times to get it out of our system I don't think we would be able to maintain the energy we do throughout the day. But it's complicated by the fact that one of my fellow counselors is the Assistant Director and she is in a constant struggle whether or not to report the wrongdoings to our SD's supervisor. While this seems like a simple decision it is complicated by the fact that our SD is dating her supervisor, and the things that the supervisor has already been notified of have been completly dismissed and ignored. So if we were to get anything changed the AD would have to go over the head of our SD's supervisor and go straight to the top Director of AmVil. This would not only piss off the SD but in addition would piss off her supervisor!!!

Oh Bureaucratic Bullshit

3 comments:

  1. Hey Meg hang in there! You cannot change the so-called ladder. the AD is a difficult situation. All you can do is work your best and keep a positive outlook. The last thing you want to do is effect the time the kids are having. Hang in there kido!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meg,

    Don't know if you will see this since this comment was posted 5 days ago, but this is the only way Dad and I can figure out how to respond. We all (except Eric) painted today at Jill and my new house. It sucked... Mom, Dad, Jill, & I love you and hang in there. Your SD sounds like a tramp! Remember my bottle my bottle of wine.

    Love,

    Us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Megan, we (Adam, Jill, Mom and I) are talking about the Babger/Golpher game comimg up in Ocotber. We are going to have a great time. Tell your room mates we need their tickets!!!! We will not pay above the college cost, remember the great meal we had last spring. Can't wait to see you, Love Dad

    ReplyDelete