Friday, June 19, 2009

XOXO XXX

Today is my final day in Amsterdam, while I am sad to be leaving, the anticipation of new adventures in new cities is keeping me upbeat. I know at some point in my life I will return to reunit with the amazing people, beauty of the city, biking culture, and endless adventures.

Things I most enjoyed about Amsterdam:
Windmill Windup. Not only was I introduced to a new culture of people and sport, I was able to eat off a frisbee for an entire weekend and take my first public nudie shower...while singing Build Me Up Buttercup!

The flower market. Unfortunately the U.S. will not allow me to bring back living goods. If this were not the case everyone I know would be receiving a precious gift of botanical life. The flower market was ten blocks along a canal, with some of the most beautiful and most interesting plants I've seen...loved it.

The public library. This was a personal discovery. My diamond in the rough, or more accurately my modern in the historic. I was able to appreciate the amazing arcitecture and design while using their free internet in a familiar environment! I went here most days after Jesse left and I loved it each and every time.

Boat Tour. Bicyclemark was kind enough to give Katie and myself a tour through the canals...and open water. While I was a bit terrified during the open water portion of the tour, it was all worth it. It was an incredible way to see the city and get to know two amazing people!

The Brothers Bloom. I originally went to this movie because I was offered a free ticket, but it turns out I loved it! It's hilarious, a cute plotline, and has an epileptic woman...for anyone who enjoyed Natalie Portman in The Garden State this is for you!


Things I least enjoyed about Amsterdam:
The tiny (and expensive) non-refillable cups of coffee. Even though they were accompanied by a cookie from time to time, it never compensated for the lack of liquid.

I am going to leave you with the same three words of advice I was given during my free walking tour.
1. Be discrete. While many people only associate Amsterdam with coffee shops and the redlight district (and I want to kick each and every one of them for not appreciating the many MANY amazing qualities of the city) these things are not actually legal, they are tolerated. So be discrete.

2. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, including yourself.

3. As long as it's good for business. Which is why coffee shops and the red light district are tolerated...

And if you are looking for a good laugh and a little (exaggerated) insight into some Holland tradition, check out 6 to 8 black men by David Sedaris...it's worth your time, promise!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbJpRLhaSqs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU1D1HKTDCY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g17Pl7MFMco&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment