Thursday, June 11, 2009

Amsterdam Experience

I am currently sitting in Jesse's apartment due to rain. I have learned the past three days that living below sea level causes a lot of clouds and randoms sprinklings of rain...but I still love it here!!

My days have been packed full of outings on our bikes and delicious food. I found out quickly that the Dutch love their cheese as well as their beer. The Wisconsinite in me has reached Nirvona!! I spent my first day getting a tour through the city and eating a home cooked meal at Jesse's girlfriend's place. She lives in this complex made from the cabins of old ships...cool, I do believe so! Afterwards we went to an ultimate frisbee practice followed by a trip to the local pub.

The next day Jesse and I took on the town. We first went to a resturant from brunch... turns out the Dutch do not tip nor do they care about turnover. We sat next to a canal and enjoyed our food and coffee (which was tinier than the mugs the Loring serves with, but I didn't mind.) Afterwards we biked across town to a ship museum and grabbed a Heinakin (they are everywhere) and played life size Connection. We followed this by a trip to one of the few micro-brewerys, which is within a windmill and than worked on our frisbee skills in a park.

As you can see I have been indulging in mostly food, beer, biking, and frisbee.

Today has been a bit slower of a day. We're preparing for our upcoming tournement. This morning we got supplies to cook out and make pasta salad. I got cut off by a moped on my way to the store and slipped on the tram rail...first fall in Amsterdam. But it wasn't a huge deal. I moved on and decided everyone needs at least one spill. We also got red tees to make Rambo headbands to intimidate our opponents...watch out Joint Strike Force will be taking home the championship this weekend!!!

On a different note...I emailed all my fellow counsolers and we have all been chatting up a storm via email. I'm really excited to meet everyone. The veterans have been making the camp sound like the most amazing summer job in the world! Just what I need, a little more paradise to go on top of my exisiting paradise!

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment